UFC 102 - Couture vs. Nogueira


August 29, 2009
Rose Garden Arena,
Portland, Ore.

Randy Couture (-165) vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (+160)
So we have a wrestler and ground and pound expert who hasn't been submitted since 2002 vs. IMO the best heavyweight submission fighter of all time. I give the stand-up nod to Randy as he has developed some decent striking. Nogueiras striking was solid while with PRIDE and I think in the Mir fight he looked really sloppy on his feet so I expect to see some better striking from him in this fight. I expect the majority of this fight to take place on the ground with Couture on top. I think he is too savvy to get caught in a submission and Nogueira is so damn durable that I see this fight going to Couture but not early.
Prediction: Randy Couture (Decision)


Keith Jardine (-155) vs. Thiago Silva (+150)
This is a tough fight to call and should be short and sweet. Both fighters are in the upper echelon in the division and both have the power to finish fights quickly. The odds on Silva are too attractive for me to pass up so I'm betting on Silva scoring a takedown and pounding out Jardine from there. A KO victory for Jardine though would not exactly surprise me.
Prediction: Thiago Silva (TKO)


Chris Leben (-145) vs. Jake Rosholt (+140)
I don't know much about Rosholt but I do know that Leben has heavy hands and a granite chin. Rosholt appears to be a banger which is right up Lebens alley so I see somebody getting KO'd before the 15m are up.
Prediction: Chris Leben (KO)


Nate Marquardt (-140) vs. Demian Maia (+140)
This fight should be excellent and I really look forward to it. Maia's submission game is top shelf and Marquardt is very well rounded. I see Marquardt trying to keep the fight standing where he will have a definite advantage. If it goes to the ground I give it 50/50 as to whether Maia can finish him. I'm going with the more attractive line here and taking Maia to pull off the upset.
Prediction: Demian Maia (Submission)


Brandon Vera (-165) vs. Krzysztof Soszynski (+160)
Soszynski has looked very solid of late compiling a 6 fight win streak. Vera is found in the dictionary under the term "hot and cold". Vera certainly has the hype factor on his side but it's hard to tell at any given time whether he is actually going to show up or not. These guys are both finishers so I don't see this going all the way. I see this as a toss up and I don't want to have to pick a winner out of the two. I'll go with the more attractive line on this one and take the underdog.
Prediction: Krzysztof Soszynski (Submission)


Gabriel Gonzaga (-350) vs. Chris Tuchscherer (+305)
Don't know much about Tuchschererbut I do know that Gonzaga has faced a lot better competition then he ever has. Gonzaga is coming off a tough loss and I don't see him dropping 2 straight again.
Prediction: Gabriel Gonzaga (TKO)

0 comments:

Post a Comment